Monday, April 10, 2006

Health Care Myths of Canada - Debunked

Now, from what I have heard about Canada, having grown up here all my life, was that Canada has one of the best health care plans around and that we have free health care. No doubt, this bit of news has brought many an happy immigrant from other countries to Canada in the hopes of getting free medical assistance for ailments that would cost them dearly in their country where there is no free health care. Even some of the sites I have read written by people but not gov't approved suggest that Canada has free health care. I mean, by reading the wikipedia pages one would assume that it is all free, no cost to the common citizen. However, after a bit of digging (and actually being told this), I found that there is no such thing as free health care in Canada. At least, not free health care in Alberta. Seems that for each province, there is a premium that has to be paid. When I was living in the NWT, we didnt pay anything but now that I am in Alberta, I see that I have to pay $44/month to get this 'free' health care. Granted, it is a small amount considering that this $44/month gives me access to all doctors and I could go and be examined for cancer or any other major illness at no more cost than $44/month. This $44 being reached by taking your annual tax income and doing strange division and percentages to it.

The thing that it doesnt cover is the cost of drugs or other higher releif. Makes sense, doesnt it? it is like paying $40/month and being able to take your car into a garage at any time, have them run complete diagnostics on it, tell you what exactly is wrong with it and tell you what you need...THEN charge you an arm and a leg on parts, but not the labour...you can go to a doctor, get a complete physical, tell you that you have a disease that will kill you in 1 year unless you get medication, but then charge you $500/pill to get this done...and unless you pay for extra health/drug coverage through a private organization, you are going to be up the creek without a paddle.

However, dont get me wrong here, I love our medical system and wouldnt change it for the world. Just now I am faced with a moral/cheapskate dilemna here. On one hand, I realize that the whole medical profession is bogged down and in need of major reform in that the gov't is constantly cutting funding to hospitals causing less and less doctors/nurses to be hired and the poor people are run off their feet constantly with hypocondriacs that come in for a full batter of tests for a hang nail or upset stomach. So, on one hand I want to pay my premium and only go to the doc when things get bad. HOWEVER, the Scrooge McDuck in me says "I am paying $44/month for a service that I might not use for an entire year? screw this, I am going in and getting a physical every single month just to make sure that this $44 is not being wasted" Thus, making me the hypocondriac in the previous statement, bogging down the medical system, taking away precious time from really sick people that are in the first category as well of not going to the doctor unless they really really need it.

Wish that the Gov't could figure out a way to give everyone better health care, less wait times and treat us all like equals (no free health for some people like natives but charge the immigrants an arm and a leg for just coming to the country), treat the seniors with respect that they deserve because even though they may complain about every ache and pain it was their hard work and taxes that have given us the money now to have health care (just as it is the youths taxes that will help the health care in the future)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(Canada)
http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/ahcip/faq.html
http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/ahcip/faq/premiums.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home