Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Harry Potter and The Gay Headmaster

I have always hated the Harry Potter books. Don't get me wrong, it isnt because of the recent 'outing' of the sexual preference of one of the characters. My distaste for these books and movies came way before this and, in fact, the sexual preference of any of the characters really wouldnt have any bearing on my like or dislike of a book. So, I have to say that I have not read all the books (I think I could only stomach the first three and then had to stop because I realized it wasnt going to get better) so when Rowling said that Dumbledore was really a gay character I could not say yes or no because I had none of the evidence. I have asked people if they got, from the readings, if he was gay and none of them even suspected it. Granted, I figure if you are reading Harry Potter books you are really trying to escape from life and reality to a fantasy world so looking for deep subplots and symbolism like those in the great 'American' novels is farthest from your mind.

What I can not stand though is the stupidity that is now coming along with this 'outing'. In this article (http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_172048.html) apparently the christians are now condemning the books. Granted, I am sure that they were already condemning the book and placing it on 'ban the book' list that they must be making because of the use of pagan magic that does not ask for divine help from God. I mean, you wave a wand and a dinner appears, that is pagan; you give a loaf of bread and some fish to a bearded dude in sandals who then feeds thousands and has left overs, that is a miracle and holy. Though, who knows, perhaps the parents of some of these haters might have given their kids the books and encouraged them to read them but now, finding out that one of the characters might be gay, hates it.

In the gay debate, I say let consenting adults do behind close doors what they will without calling them names. If a man is gay and he is a headmaster of a school, then he is a headmaster of his own accord, not because he is gay. Sexual preference has nothing to do with your ability. Take people as they come. As for the Harry Potter books, so much can be said as to why they are horrible books and should not be read, but sexual preference of some characters is NOT one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home