Sunday, September 02, 2007

Man, life makes you laugh

wow, so many things happen in this strange little city I am in that you just got to laugh yourself silly over it.

First off, I have come to the conclusion that I am a caveman walking through the space age. Yesterday I was out walking around and thought I would meet out up with my father who was out walking. By force of my mother (you know, the She Who Must Be Obeyed in all families), he is on a cell phone family plan and carries a cell phone. Just in case he is out of ear shot and mother feels the need to call and nag or ask a question she already knows the answer to. I thought I would call him on the cell, find out where he was, meet up with him somewhere and go from there. After all, you have the technology on you, use it..and it was sort of an emergency. So, I went looking for a pay phone. I looked through 2 malls and 3 stores, not a single pay phone. Direct lines to cab companies or hotels, but no pay phones. One mall store owner even told me that there wasnt a pay phone in the entire mall I was standing in. I remember a time, long ago when horses and buggies roamed the streets apparently, when you couldn't walk into a mall without having a row of 4 pay phones there. Now, I think I have to go to the phone company building and they might have a pay phone in their lobby.

Then there was the case of the cement. Apparently there is a corner in this city that has been torn up for the last 2-3 months, with barracades around it and making people that want to walk on that side walk on the street for a bit and risk being hit by the horrible drivers out there. Finally they got the cement crew up here and they poured the corner nicely. They then posted a guard on the street corner to stop people from writing their names or symbols into the cement. I drove by the corner a few times and saw the guard there, my family walked by the corner and saw the same guard there, we estimate that the guard was out there for at least 10-12 hours, guarding this little patch of cement. Well, we had to walk past this little patch of cement coming home from the movie and there were three names "Justin", "Marie" and "Violet" along with a symbol of some sort (possibly that graffitti gang art you see scrawled on the walls sometimes) in the cement. 10-12 hours of guarding, and in the end still had the names put into it. Makes me kind of wonder, how boring is it in this place when the only fun and interesting times that you can have is to wait out a guard of wet cement for 10-12 hours til he goes home so that you can run out there and carve your name into the half dried cement? I must be out of touch with reality cause no matter how many times, between the ages of 6 and 32 that I walked past a patch of wet/half wet/nearly wet cement, I never had the urge to reach down and put my name/face/hand/foot print in the cement. Guess I just don't seek immortality like some people out there do.

Though, one thing happened today that made me have one small glimmer of hope for the future of the children today. In the movie theatre, movie is about to start, a row of 5 seats is taken up by a man and his two little kids when a girl, that couldnt have been more than 8 years old, walks up to the man and in a polite tone of voice without fear or malice askes "excuse me sir, are these seats taken?" and gestures towards the two remaining seats. No "Yo, wuz up with these seats?" or just sitting down without asking if they were taken, or even no swears or cusses. Just a polite and respectful question to ask if the seats were available. Just hope that this little girl can keep the politeness and respect going and she doesnt turn into the punks of 12-18 year olds taken over the streets today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home