Thursday, September 06, 2007

My dad...

I have heard that a boy first idolizes his father, then hates his father, then befriends his father and, in the end, is his father. I always wondered about that since I did idolize my father when I was growing up with all the things that he did for my brother and I. Games he played, things he taught us to make us adults and mature. Though I dont think I ever went through the hate stage, but I did befriend my father and we are good friends now. Though, something happened the other night that gave me the glimpse that I am becoming my father.

My dad was basically the 'sex' scene in the lion king, or the erection in the Little Mermaid. He was a man that would walk through life totally G rated but every now and then he would slip in a totally innocuous little comment that a 10 year old or lower would think is strange way to answer a question but an adult would look at him and go "my god, you said that to a child!??!?!". I later found out that he was doing this for his own amusement but also to test to see how we were growing up, if we were listening to him and also to see if we not only listened to the answer of the question but also thought outside the box enough to see the double meaning in his words. I did that the other night with my own nephew.

My brother, nephew, neice and I went out to dinner and on the ride home I was being quizzed by the nephew. Got the usual math questions of 36 times 5 or 4,002 minus 453. I thought without a pen and paper I was doing good. Then we switched to science. Was fielding most of the questions pretty good but then I got asked "what in the woods is wasted?". For some reason, without thinking, I answered "well, that would depend on how close the woods are to the high schools". I got a glare from my brother and confused looks from my neice and nephew. The question was repeated and I had to give my answer of "nothing".

After I got home and went through that again and again, I got to thinking that the answer I gave would have been given to me by my dad. So, I guess that I am either my dad at heart and just need the right stimulus to bring it out, or I am slowly becoming my dad either way. Though, I can honestly say, that if I can even turn out to be 1/10th of the man that my dad is, I think I will have become more of a man than most of the people I have worked with or met.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home