Saturday, January 12, 2008

MM Lee still fiery with political brass knuckles and looking for a street fight

I read in the Singaporean paper 'The New Paper' on January 12, 2008 an article about MM Lee speaking to a group about retirement. Apparently a poor 23 year old reporter asked about the restrictions on civil liberties and MM Lee fired back asking what liberties were restricted. Apparently in his idea, freedom of speech is not limited or constricted, since if you want to talk at Hong Lim Park all you need to do is get a licence (http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,153258,00.html?):

****
MM Lee said, to laughter from the audience, "You just put your name, that's all"

Speakers must register at the Kreta Ayer Neighbourhood Police Post before they speak.

He added that a free press is not the answer to all of a country's development problems.

"Don't take what the Western media say about us as true."
****

Personally, I think once you have to ask for permission to speak, your freedom of speech has been limited. One thing that I have thought you should run with on freedom of speech is that "My right to swing my arms stops at where your nose starts". For those that might not have been taught in school to read between the lines and find meaning behind the words. I have always taken this to mean that I can say what I like, when I like, and say whatever I like BUT I also have to take into consideration what words I am saying and take responsibility for my own words. What I say I have to be able to back up with evidence and proof. I can say "I think that...." and have a personal opinion but that personal opinion is open for debate and the people listening to it have to use their own discreation. I can say that I think that a certain lawyer is a theif, and people have to be able to make up their own minds.

Now, I ask any Singaporean out there. Please, here is the ultimate test of the freedom of speech that you apparently have since MM Lee says all you have to do is put your name down and you can speak. Go and put your name down or put in your application for a public protest with whomever you have to and the reason for the public protest is"

"Protesting the fact that you have to get a licence to hold a protest. You feel that any group of people (over 4 people) should be able to congregate at any part of Singapore and hold a protest as long as you are:

1) not disrupting traffic;
2) not hurting or blocking anyone access to certain areas (e.g. you cant be blocking them from entering Plaza Singapura because you are protesting Plaza Sing prices);
3) keeping the noise level down to a respectable level (E.G. Not firing off fireworks or loudspeakers so loud that people 5 streets over can hear you but still loud enough for those that are in the area can hear you), and;
4) not forcing people to stop and listen (E.G. you are just talking and if people want to stop and listen, they can..if they dont want to stop and listen, they can just move on."

I have wanted to apply and do this but I find that no one really likes to listen to an expat talk like this about Singapore. I have found that I can be with my friends who talk about how they hate the increase in pay for the ministers, how they are frustrated with the PAP grip on everything in Singapore and how the cost of living and HDB prices are rising faster and faster but the salaries are stagnant and there is no power to do anything for the workers....but as soon as I open my mouth and say that I agree it is a screwed up system I get told to 'shut up' because I am a 'visitor' to this great and wonderful nation and I should not say a damn thing but just be grateful that I am in the safest and greatest country in the world.

Think of this as a stepping stone to helping those causes that are repressed. If you apply to hold a rally for homosexuality, it will probably be denied because you have to ask permission. BUT if you manage to hold a protest to remove the stipulation that you have to ask permission, you can then hold you protest legally because protests are not illegal. Before running across the mine field (Singapore) to fight the enemy (PAP), you should clear the mine field (political field) of mines (unfair rules and regulations placed in for the PAP to remain in control) before you engage the enemy (political or social).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home