Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Another case of "WTF!??!?!?!?!"

Just read this article. Apparently a teaching assistant went to a psychic, was asked if she worked with a girl with a name that starts with a 'V' and then said that she was being sexually abused by a man between the age of 23 and 26. What is the worst part of this stupid little thing? The teacher reported it and an investigation happened. Why?

"Under the Child and Family Services Act, anyone who works with children and has reasonable grounds to suspect a youngster is being harmed must report it immediately - and the CAS (Children's Aid Society) is obligated to follow up. "

Now, what exactly here is 'reasonable grounds'? Granted they did say that "..a list of behaviours exhibited by her daughter, which taken together with the report from the psychic, formed a theory of abuse. " How exactly does that work? I mean, there are a bunch of behaviors and they are not concerned in the least but when a psychic says "yes, I feel the vibe of abuse" all of a sudden those behaviors now have meaning? Who exactly is more of a whack job here, the teacher assistant for being a complete naive baboon for believing a psychic or the CAS for actually looking into it?

Little things I learned when going to psychology class (after all, this is what the 'theory' is based on, psychology). In my first month of intro psych I had diagnosed my room mate with at least 8 different mental disorders. In the 2nd month I was determined that I had at least 20 psychiatric problems. Why? cause I read what it was an looked for the symptoms.

This is a case of some naive idiots reading about something and looking for the symptoms. The mother or this teacher should not only get an apology from the school board, teacher assistant and CAS but the teacher assistant should be punished for causing a false alarm. I mean, if I went to the police and said "A psychic told me that my room mate has been captured and murdered and he hasnt been home for 2 days therefore it must be so" I think I would be arrested for starting a police inquiry and a false murder claim. Chances are the room mate just went out on a drinking binge with friends and is crashing with a hang over and the only murder that happened was the death of a few thousand of his brain cells.

As well, the CAS should take a look into their policy of '..obligated to start an investigation'. They should add in "..obligated to start an investigation if there is sufficient evidence." If you blindly do something (obligated investigations or mandatory punishments) you create a black and white rule for an incredibly grey world. Common sense, thought, deduction and just plain out simple reason has to take precident over a simple case of black and white.

There are so many more attacks to make on these idiots but I think you will make up your own mind. There will be people saying "yeah, they are complete idiots" and there are others that will say "Oh the psychic is probably correct. I mean, I know of a friend who had a sister that had a psychic say....".

Last note, if psychics are real, why dont they call you up and tell you things or walk to the police and say "this is the description here are the people these are the crimes, now go and find the evidence and put them behind bars"? Instead you have to go to them and answer questions like "tell me do you live in Canada? perhaps Alberta? Edmonton?" and narrow it down to something more pin pointed?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080618/psychic_abuse_080618/20080618?hub=Canada

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home