Saturday, June 17, 2006

double whammy

ok, a double whammy here when it comes to thoughts. First off, what is with this constant bombardment of sports! I mean, if there was one thing and one thing alone that I really loved working in an office full of women was the near total non-existance of sports talk. Sure, there was the odd duck that would come out and talk about last nights hockey game or football or something, but they were usually few and far between and they knew who the sports fans were and stuck to one sport. Like, one lady would be in love with the Oilers so you would hear about how the Oilers did the night before but once they were out of the cup race, you got one day of grumbling and she never talked about sports again. So, I was in a rather sports free environment.

But NOW, I am working in a camp of all men and it seems that everywhere I go I am being bombarded with sports. We got a TV in the kitchen when the olympics were on, which I had no problem with since after the olympics were over we got to keep the TV so I could listen to the news or movies while working. Now I am getting attacked on sports from all sides. I have to watch the U.S. Open (golf) on the tv for my whole 12 hour shift cause the cook I am working with is a complete golf fanatic. Then the assistant camp manager in is a soccer nut so every now and then I get her coming into the kitchen talking with the cook about yellow flags, red flags, goals, saves, penalty kicks and other things that mean nothing to me. Then, to add that cherry to the top of the cake, there is the Stanley Cup playoffs still going on. Granted, the hockey games are not that bad since I was cheering for the Mighty Ducks and was disappointed they got eliminated. Just wish that it would be over so that we can switch to something else.

My usual day will be watch golf on tv, get news updates on soccer matches, serve lunch while watching golf, work in the afternoon listening to golf (have you ever listened to a golf match? I thought watching golf was boring..listening to it is even worse*G*), get more soccer updates and then for supper I either have to watch/listen to golf or, if there is a hockey game on, watch/listen to the hockey game. As for changing channels to see what else is on, have you ever tried to change the channel on, not only one, but an entire dining room full of people that are interested in the sports scores? I am surprised I not only have the use of my fingers but actually still have my arms attached.

So, yeah, sports, I could live without them.

and THEN I read an article in the EdmontonSun today that has me sort of shaking my head on two accounts.

http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Canada/2006/06/17/1638049-sun.html

Two girls charged with murder of their mother get $133,675 in life insurance paid out through their aunt trustee. The thing that gets me is that first off, it boggles and offends my mind kids could kill their own parent by drowning her in a bathtub. I mean, sure there are times when I would have been angry enough to kill my parents but either I come to my senses and realize that no matter how angry you get, killing is not the answer or I realize that what I am mad at is because they are looking out for me. Also, the girls, at their age, really didnt need to kill her, they just had to walk away from her, start a new life and move on. Kids killing their own parents, that is such a horrible thing. I am reminded of what the king in Conan the Barbarian said to Conan and his two theif friends when asked to reclaim the daughter of the king from the cult leader "This dagger was found in the heart of the king to the north, thrust into his breast by his own son. Is there a dagger like this in the hand of my daughter? aimed at my own breast?" Talk about a change in fears of parents from the past to the present. I think the greatest fear my parents had for me was "will he be happy growing up? have I prepared him enough for the life ahead? is he mature enough to deal with life?". Wonder if my greatest fear when I have kids is "have I taught him/her well enough that killing what you dont agree with is a bad thing? if I havent taught him/her that well enough, have I at least managed to not piss him/her off enough that they will kill me in their sleep?" I guess these two girls realized the one fact that most of us really realize about those around us. Everyone is actually worth more, monetary wise, dead than alive. Though sentimentally wise, we are worth more alive than dead. Guess it all comes down to which do you treasure more, money or love.

The other thing that got me about the article is the one line "Nor will the aunt, the sister of the drowned mom, have to account how the missing cash was sent..." The meaning in the words aside the wording and spelling is strange. After all, the sentence implies that the girls killed the mother but the aunt, who was trusted with the money, went and spent it on her own..sort of an ironic turn of events in that one person commits a crime to get a benefit only to turn out to be the victim of a crime herself. But read the last 4 words of ..'missing cash was sent...' and ask yourself, was the money 'sent' improperly and if that was the case, where did the aunt intend to send the money, and was it to be sent to herself, the kids, or another third party? or, was that word supposed to be 'spent'? if that was the case, and it was a case of putting the wrong word in the sentence, what ever happened to proof reading? I mean, I am no angel or genius when it comes to spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, and I am sure that reading this post there are at least a dozen or more errors on both parts. However, this is a newspaper, reporting the news, that took more than 30 minutes of sitting down at a typewriter and pounding out a story, handing it to the printer and away it goes. Aren't there grammar checkers, spell checkers and even possibly 'reality checkers' (people that read the article, scratch their heads and go to the writers and say "did you mean 'sent the money' or 'spend the money'?).

So is this what the world is coming to? a world of homicidal kids that would rather kill their parents for the insurance money, or kids that grow up, get jobs and let the quality of the job slip to a high degree? cause if that is the case, I am wondering if I should have kids or fly in a plane that is being piloted or maintained by these kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home