Saturday, September 08, 2007

global mobile return tests...

While waiting for a doctors appointment I came across this little article in Reader's Digest:

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/content/global-mobile-phone-test/

What struck me as memorable about this test was the fact that I too lost a cell phone but not in Canada, but in Singapore. I lost a cell phone in a cab, we called the number 10 minutes after we realized it was gone and a guy answered and we heard him give directions to a location and wouldnt talk to us and we never saw the phone again. Funnily enough, 2 days later, I was out with my wife and I saw a phone on the floor of a busy mall at a McDonald's. I instantly asked her if there was a 'lost and found' in the mall and she replied that she did not know. So I turned to the lady behind the counter and said "I found this phone on the floor. Can I leave it with you to return it if someone comes looking?" She smiled and took the phone and we left. I would have kept the phone and waited for the individual to call it or at least call a few numbers in the memory to locate the owner, but we were just leaving to catch a plane in 2 hours, so figured that was the easiest way to get the phone back to the owner.

The one thing that got me totally by surprise was the look on my wife's face when I handed the phone in to be given back to the owner. For four hours afterwards, she kept saying things like "that was a new phone. we could have kept that phone and resold it and gotten the money back on the phone that you lost plus had a few extra to spend on the vacation" To this day, I am not sure if she was joking or serious about the whole keeping the phone and reselling it. Guess at a 53% return rate in Singapore compared to a 93% return rate in Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home