Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Noose goes Stereotypical in really poor taste

There was a time when I would watch a North American show that had a chinese person in it and think to myself "my god, how horrible, degrading and disgusting to portray him like that" The reason being that whenever a chinese person was portrayed on TV they always had big huge teeth, thick coke bottle glasses and always spoke in extremely poor English with horrible pronunciation ("you wanta some flied lice? good good today..or...how abwout somea woast pwork? sweet and soooour........good good") I often felt bad and would voice my concern to friends about the stereotypes that we are putting on the film and say that I did not find the character to be interesting or amusing in the least and considered it down right annoying and in poor taste.

That, however, has changed since I saw the January 13th, 2008 episode of The Noose. They had a 'caucasian' on the show (Gurmit Singh http://www.gurmitsinghonline.com/) play a caucasian hawker centre cook that came over from a stint in China to cook 'western' food for the Singaporean people. His specialty? Dumplings. What did he do to make my attitude change? All they did was put a white wig on his head and have him jump around like an idiot with a thick Singaporean/Chinese accent and go "hi mom" and wave hysterically at the camera. This is not the first time I have watched poor taste in humor on this show and thought to myself "what is happening?"

Then it dawned on me. Singaporeans always seem to tell me that they have respect for other people. They wouldnt go to stereotypes because of the huge multinational mixture of races in their country. That is why there are high sedition laws because they hold a high respect for other nations and cultures. So, using that as a guildline, I guess by portraying the caucasian individual stereotypically like that, since I do have to admit that caucasians under the age of 10 (or at least the mental age of 10) that are on camera always jump around like brain dead idiots, it must be acceptable. Therefore, since portraying a caucasian to that extreme stereotype, then I guess it is perfectly fine to laugh at the stereotypical chinese individual in films and shows over in North America. So next time I see a chinese man in a show announcing that he has just arrived to North America to make his fortune I will laugh hysterically at his thick accent, and his comical blunders of 'flied lice' and 'weft wing and light wing powitics'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home