Thursday, September 20, 2007

Canadian baptized into Singapore

Well, I think I have been 'baptized' and am now an expat living in Singapore. I would say that I am a true Singaporean now, but I still hold my Canadian passport, actually wait til all passengers have alighted from the MRT before pushing on and will not jaywalk across 4 lanes of busy traffic instead of waiting the extra 15 seconds for the walk signal to turn.

When I saw the movie Singapore Dreaming, there was a part where the father comments about how disgusting it was that people urinated in the lift. Then, 30 minutes or so into the movie, the son-in-law, for some reason, decides to urinate in the lift after he got a parking ticket for parking in his HDB area. There is even a sign in the lift that says that 'urinating in the lift is a crime under the Environmental Protection Act'. Now, for some strange reason, I always figured that that they exagerated for the movie and the sign posted in the lift was Singaporean way of stating the obvious just in case someone thought someone comes home drunk on a friday night, 3 am, about 2 cases of beer in his blatter and cant wait to get up to the 6th floor and then run up 2 flights of stairs to his flat cause the elevator doesn't go to his floor directly. However, yesterday and then again today, I have been baptized.

9:30am, Yishun area, going up the HDB elevator, I found myself standing on one foot surrounded by a puddle that was slowly inching around me. I thought it was coffee or possibly a breakfast drink, but there was a strange off scent of asparagus in the air. Then, yet again, this afternoon around 5pm, same life, I got on and the strong aroma of urine was worse, so that was a definite. I have to say that I didn't do a dip test (dip the finger in and smell the liquid, like they do in all the horror movies and all) or really get down there to smell the liquid, but it had an off yellow color to it AND the lift did have the aroma that I find in most campsite toilets in Canada. So yeah, am gonna be firm on this belief and say it was urine.

So, yes, I am now truely baptized into the Canadian Expat living in Singapore by urine in the lift. I feel so....local now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home