Monday, September 24, 2007

Devil is in the details....

I think my wife hit it on the head this morning when she said "my hubby, has one f#$ked up mind". Yeah, I would be the one that would go along with that. After all, I read a little snippet in the paper today with the headline "Man attacks with stool in pub: gets jail". I read that to my wife and asked her "what do you think this article is about?" and she responded with the right answer that a man at a pub attacked another man with a bar stool (because the other man stole his seat). Yeah, this was the second thing that ran through my mind. The first was a story about a man that went a little nutty in a pub, came out of the bathroom with a 'stool sample' (piece of crap) in his hand, went up to another man and threw/hit him with it. Yeah, what can I say, I am a little messed up boy.

Then I put my foot in my mouth concerning the Public Service Announcement about terrorism and the MRT, but due to Singaporean restrictions on public speech in voice or internet, dont think I can repeat the discussion I had with my wife. Needless to say, my nasty free Canadian attitude and mind got her pissed off, as well as possibly any Singaporean within ear shot that was listening in.

After going through all this, my warped mind took a new turn. How is this for a revelatoin, I have now lived in two cities in two different countries that are, or have been, the murder capital of that country. Yes, it is true. I was living in Edmonton that held the distinct honour of being known as the murder capital of Canada until there was a double homicide in Winnipeg one night and only a double stab maiming in Edmonton and Winnipeg took hold as the murder capital of Canada. I think it has been fluctuating back and forth with the recent shootings/stabbings so not really sure, but it is true that I lived in Edmonton and was living in it at the time it was murder capital of Canada. Then, I sat back and realized, I am currently living in the murder capital of Singapore. Not only that, I am living in the drug capital/car theft/assault/sexual assault(rape)/petty theft/gang banging (and every other federal offence in the law books) capital of Singapore.

Kind of scary considering when I was in Edmonton I wasn't in the capital of any of those crimes since I believe the drug capital was Fort MacMurray (though I also heard Vancouver was a really close second, if not first). All those other crimes had other cities to be known as the captial of that crime, and yet, here I sit, in the mega-crime capital of the whole country of Singapore. Wow...it is really mind blowing. But, then I ease my fears and worries when I remind myself that whereas Canada has thousands of cities/towns/hamlets/villages within the country, Singapore has only one city. Funny how you can take a statistic and without putting forth the parameters, make something out to be worse off than it really is, huh? Guess it is true that the devil is always in the details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home